Monday 13 July 2015

Menton: Life on the border

 Hello!


 On my first Saturday in Juan-les-Pins I decided to go to Italy. I thought that while I was so close I may as well take the opportunity to see a new country. So I got on a train to Ventimiglia, the first town over the border.

 However, the train ground to a halt in Nice. Sometimes trains sit in Nice for a bit so I stayed put. Then a railway worker came through the carriages ordering us to get off as the train wasn't going any further! I climbed down onto the platform, feeling miffed. I was keen to see Nice but today was Ventimiglia day!

 However, I soon found a train from Nice to Menton. With Menton being the last town before the border I reasoned that I should be able to get from there to Ventimiglia easily enough - there would surely be regular trains. So, I hopped onto the train and off we went to Menton.

 On arrival I discovered that I had two hours until the next train to Ventimiglia so I spent that time perusing the town. The main thing that struck me about Menton was its greenness (as illustrated in the word-cloud). Many of the streets are lined with trees and I sat in a lovely little park to eat my lunch. There was a fountain and little birds skittering about and it was very nice and earthy.

 When I finished my sandwich I headed to the seafront where I admired the colourful buildings, the ice-cream shops and the deep sapphire blue of the water. I went back inland and found a bakery where I indulged in a slice of lemon meringue pie which was really tasty, before hurrying to the station to catch my train to Ventimiglia.

 My time in Menton may have been brief but it was memorable all the same and it is somewhere I am keen to return to one day to explore further.

 Thanks for reading!

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment