Sunday 19 July 2015

Cathedrals, Anaya Palace, storks and the Frog

 ¡Hola!


 I awoke on my first morning in Salamanca, enjoyed breakfast in my residence and set off for the Anaya Palace where I would have my placement tests. My first impressions of Salamanca in the early morning were very positive: calm, old, clean, lots of sandstone creating a golden aura all over the city.

 In order to reach the Anaya Palace I had to first find the two cathedrals (which to all appearances are one cathedral as they are on the same site and it's hard to see the join. Both are Catholic). I found them and they were as magnificent up close as I had imagined from seeing them lit the night before.

 The Anaya Palace is just opposite the Cathedral (I will refer to the Cathedral in the singular as I find saying cathedrals when I know it as one confusing). It's a magnificent building, as you might expect from a palace. It is now the School of Philology of the University.

 I sat the placement tests, one written and one oral. Then I was free for the rest of the day. I headed out to the Cathedral to have a look around. It was late morning and the sky was gorgeous.











I love this gargoyle, he seems so happy!




Woof




Miaow

 I headed down a side alley that led me to Centro Documental de la Memoria Histórica.












 Back at the cathedral I had a closer look at the amazing, intricate stonework.

I can't get over the redness of these shutters. So beautiful against the gold and the blue of the sky.




Don Pigeon and his faithful hound





 Between the Cathedral and the Anaya Palace was the Plaza Anaya with its lovely, colourful gardens,


They are almost green flames


 I had another look inside the Anaya Palace.


 Who might live in a nest like this?


 Me!









 After my highly enjoyable photo-shoot with the storks I headed to the old University façade. As with the Cathedral façades, the stonework is stunning. 


 Of course, I had to find the Frog! The Frog is the emblem of the city and is hidden in the carving. If you find her she will bring you luck in your studies. (There are some darker alternative theories behind her presence but I prefer this nice one!)


The Catholic Monarchs, Fernando and Isabel





 The facade looks out over a courtyard, on one side of which (the right in the photo below) is the International Courses building school where I would start my classes the next day.





This really reminds me of loggerhead turtles.







 Back in the Plaza Anaya I decided to take a tour on the Little Red Train. France has its Little White Trains which I've enjoyed riding in Perpignan, Antibes and Cannes so I was pleased to find one here.


 Join me on that train tour in my next blog post!

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment