Saturday 19 May 2018

Food of Vigo and Galicia

 Hello!


 As I did in Salamanca, I decided to put together a blog post about the food and drink I enjoyed in Vigo and Galicia. Some dishes are linked to the region, while others are Galician twists on meals from other cultures, such as Italian or French.

 I wrestled with whether to feature seafood, as I am now a vegetarian. I decided to include a few dishes, as fish, shellfish and octopus are deeply embedded in Galician culture. I wouldn't eat them now, however, and I was never comfortable eating octopus as they are such intelligent creatures.

 Here are my foodie photos, with savoury first, then sweet, then finally drinks. I hope you enjoy them. Sorry if you end up hungry and desperate to hop on a plane to Vigo!

Savoury

Bread

Soup

Creamy mushrooms - like a stroganoff

Ratatouille with eggs - one of my favourite meals

Potato omelette

Revuelto - scrambled eggs

Crêpe in Pontevedra

Paella-esque rice

Pizza


Pasta


More pasta - pasta popped up a lot in the Uni canteen

Pasta and prawns

Vegetables,, pasta and seafood

Fish with salad and a peeled, buttery potato which is a key element of some Galician dishes

"Carnival octopus" in Padrón

I asked for potato omelette and ended up with a potato omelette sandwich

Egg toastie - these were presented so prettily

The famous Galician empanada, or pasty

Snacks


Sweet


The famous Galician biscuit buffet!

Crêpe with caramel and flan in Pontevedra

Crêpe with chocolate and nuts

Fruit sorbet

Banana boat

"Pinocchio" sundae which for me was more of a duck

Ice-cream!

More ice-cream!

Sundae with grapes

Frozen yogurt

Creamy banana dessert

Custard and cinnamon

Rice pudding and cinnamon

Chocolate mousse

Crème caramel

Crema catalana

Peach, I think

Apple cake

Apple turnover

Creamy dessert

Tiramisu-esque cake

Orange layered cake

Chocolate cake

Sticky cake

Caramel flan

Flan-type cake with chocolate

Cake-y dessert. Not sure what its name is but it was nice

Cake with berries

Oreo cheesecake

Cheesecake

Santiago cake

Easter ring

Pastries

Eclair with custard

Pain au chocolat

Croissant

Easter egg


Drinks

As a non-caffeine-drinker I have a great appreciation for hot chocolate, and in Galicia it is gloriously creamy

Orange juice - often freshly-squeezed

A berry milkshake and a juice drink with oranges, carrots and more

Chocolate milkshake


Cookies and cream frappe

 As you can see, Galician cuisine is diverse and can be delicious. For me, one of the best parts of travelling is trying local dishes, and during my time in Vigo I did plenty of that. I hope to keep exploring new places and finding new sweet and savoury favourites.

 Thanks for reading.

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment