Thursday 17 November 2016

Bommalattam: Indian puppet theatre

 Hello!


 If you've read the last few posts on here, you'll know my mother and grandmother came to visit me in Avignon. After our trip to Nîmes, my Mam returned home. 

 My Granma, who was flying back to a different airport, had one more day here. She announced that she had bought us tickets to see some Indian puppet theatre - I was intrigued!

 Firstly, though, we went for a nice walk in the walled town ("Intra-muros") and had a lovely meal at Brasserie du Conservatoire, where we had eaten earlier in the week. Granma got a chicken skewer while I got the same as last time, a pizza Royale (ham and mushroom).


 


 For dessert we fancied trying something new (we had enjoyed chocolate souffles last time), so we both picked the "Spéculoos tiramisu". 

 "Spéculoos" is the current obsession in France; you see it as a flavour option for all kinds of things. It's basically biscuits - Lotus Biscuit Spread here claims to be "The Original Spéculoos!". I have been a fan of said spread since my Uni hall of residence back in Manchester introduced it at our breakfasts, so I gave the dessert a go.


 It was wonderful! I wouldn't exactly call it tiramisu - I don't think there was any coffee or chocolate. However, I have no objection to that, as I normally find the coffee in tiramisu to be overpowering. So, the "spéculoos tiramisu" as an invention has my seal of approval!

 Evening came and we made our way to the little theatre where the puppet show would take place. The room was small and intimate. It also had drape-y curtains everywhere, which was nice until fire became an element in the show and then I was terrified the place would go up! Fortunately it didn't.


 The show began and we were introduced to the respected, traditional art of Indian puppet theatre. The string puppets were large and intricate, with beautiful, colourful clothes and accessories. The first half of the show was a series of songs, dances, short stories and skits.



 Most of that half was quite intense in terms of action and atmosphere, so it was great to have a little break in the form of a Punch-style joker character. Though I didn't understand the language the puppet-masters performed in, I could follow this character's antics fairly easily. He was good fun.




 Another interesting moment was when a boy was invited to sit onstage with one of the puppets, who proceeded to hug him, rub his face with a cloth and present him with a flower garland. 


 The staff took off his glasses beforehand, presumably for his safety, and I wonder to what extent he was actually aware of what was going on! For him it must have been a bizarre but no doubt memorable experience.






 The show went on, with more music and some very energetic dancing, until we reached the interval.


 The second half of the show was a story, I believe from Hindu mythology, about a special bow that would determine who could marry the daughter of a god.

 I was delighted to see the joker character return, wearing a crown to hide his signature banana-like hat. He tried to touch the bow and failed, but amused the audience a great deal.



 Finally, somebody - maybe Vishnu? - succeeded in touching the bow, and married the lady.



 The show was finished, but then to our surprise the cast and crew appeared and showed us how they work the puppets. It was fascinating.










I believe this man is someone big in Indian cinema

 Overall, it was a vibrant, exciting and very different night's entertainment, and I'm so glad Granma decided to get tickets.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment