Wednesday 2 September 2015

The Shell House and climbing the Clerecía

 Hola!


 When Cursos Internacionales - the part of the University of Salamanca in which I was studying - organised a visit to the Clerecía Towers, I hopped on board. 

 The Clerecía is a combined college and church. Along with the Cathedrals it dominates Salamanca's skyline.

 The group met at the Casa de las Conchas, the Shell House. I love this house; the shells always remind me of when I was younger and would make shells and other shapes from sand on the beach using plastic moulds. The house really looks as though a child had attacked it with sand and a mould!






 Once all the group had assembled we entered the Clerecía and started the climb up to the Towers. We came to a museum-y area with scale models and old books and maps.












 There was a balcony that overlooked the chapel. It was magnificent. I like how nature is so incorporated into the art.











 We then did the bulk of the climbing up into one of the Towers. From there we would be able to cross to the other. The way up was dark and quite narrow but it was worth it for the views when we finally made it.


The Convent of San Esteben

Wind turbines thortugh a haze of heat



















The Rua Mayor




This tiny walkway was the only way of passing between the two towers. It was rather evocative; I felt as though we were in a historical novel.


 I braved the extremely narrow column of stairs (below) leading to the very top of the tower where we could hang out with the bells and pigeons and enjoy an even more amazing vista.





























 Overall, it was a great experience and allowed me to see Salamanca from - literally - a whole new angle and perspective. I hope you've enjoyed my photos.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment