Friday 18 May 2018

Shopping in Vigo

 Hello!


 I thought I would do a post about shopping for food and amenities in Vigo, as it may be of interest to anyone living or studying there, or considering doing so. 

 I chose to live on the University of Vigo's mountain campus. It was beautiful, and I was very content there. However, there was only, to my knowledge, one small food shop, which was part of the university and closed outside of class hours. I therefore had to look a little further for most of my food. 

 When I first moved into the accommodation, I was advised to have my shopping delivered, and I used a shop called Froiz. They had some nice products - I liked their pizzas, biscuits, yogurts and rice pudding - and delivery was very useful for heavy things, like bottles of water and milk.

 However, I became aware that halfway down the hill were an Alcampo and a Lidl, and that they were on one of my bus routes. I knew I liked Lidl food, it having been my local supermarket in a few places I had lived. I was craving their rolls and chocolate. So, I took the bus down the mountain.

 The two shops are situated on a huge, busy road leading out of the city.


 However, the area around them was, at least when I was there, all untamed, beautiful greenery. It was nice to get off the bus and just stand for a bit, enjoying the wildflowers.




 Lidl had much the same products it has everywhere (or at least in the UK, France and Spain, based on my experience): a great range of sweet and savoury rolls and pastries, lots and lots of chocolate, sugary but tempting cereal, extravagant cookies, plenty of fruit. 



 One quirk of Vigo's Lidl was a supposed pick-and-mix of chocolate truffles, except they only ever had one flavour, which was coconut. They were divine, though, and I would always buy a handful.



 I had been to an Alcampo with Daojun, and so I knew they could be big, but this one still blew my mind with its hugeness. There were so many sections, with food, books, clothes, appliances... It was like several shops in one.

 I spotted some Cathy Cassidy books...


 ...and some really pretty Malory Towers editons.







 There was also a strange story in Galician about a mole who finds something surprising on his head...



 In the clothes section, I noticed a trend of English and French words and phrases being used.



 I generally preferred Lidl to Alcampo, as it was smaller and felt more relaxed. Alcampo did have lovely books, though, and some cool food items such as enormous chocolate bars crammed with different fillings, rice cakes that I really liked and light vegetable snacks (like a crisp alternative).

 After shopping I would face the dreaded uphill walk with my heavy bags to the bus stop. It was always a wonderful feeling to relax into my seat and cruise up the mountain, often watching the sun set over Vigo. 


 In those moments, looking down on the city, it would really hit me just how enormous it is, sprawling across the hillside and hugging the sea. It would remind me of Rio de Janeiro. I was amazed to be part of it.


 I hope this post has been useful or enjoyable. Vigo is a great place to study, and you shouldn't worry too much about the campus being so rural. With regards to food, there are options - deliveries, or a bus ride to Lidl or Alcampo. I loved my time in the mountains and am very glad I chose them.

 Thanks for reading.

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment