Sunday 27 May 2018

Galician language and culture classes

 Hello!


 I mentioned in my last post, about my modules at the University of Vigo, that I would dedicate a post to my Galician language culture class, because there is so much to say about it.

 This was more than a Uni module. It was a big part of my life, what with all the excursions we went on and the bonds that formed between us as students. I made some great friends from all over the world.

 We had five hours of lessons a week. We learnt Galician language - grammar, vocabulary - and did a lot of speaking practise in groups, which helped us to get to know each other.

 We would then study Galician culture - history, geography, art, food, festivals and traditions. We listened to a lot of music, of different genres, which I really liked. Galician classes came after our morning modules, and were a nice, relaxed way to spend an afternoon.

 Of course, I must talk about the trips and visits, as these ended up forming a kind of backbone to my time in Vigo. They meant I travelled on a regular basis - I probably would have anyway, but having organised tours certainly helped.

 They also allowed me to see amazing places that would have been hard to access through public transport but which a coach or minibus could get us to. Here is a recap of our adventures.

 The Monastery of Carboeiro - This abandoned Benedictine monastery was a remote, peaceful place, and the surrounding area was incredibly lush and green.


 The River Deza and the Toxa Waterfall - This hike was quite tough at times, especially as we were rained on, but the nature was very diverse and we encountered hallmarks of Galician culture such as the horreo (granary) and cruceiro (double-sided crucifix).


 The O Castro Mountain and Park - This was, at the time, the most beautiful place I had been; it seemed like heaven. The park above Vigo is full of public art, blossoms, water, bees, butterflies, lizards and frogs. It was gorgeous.


 Vigo city tour - I knew Vigo pretty well by this point, but I still learnt some new things, and enjoyed exquisite views from the higher parts of the city.


 The Monastery of Oseira - This Trappist monastery was large and elegant, and through our guided tour (led by a monk) we learnt a lot. The nearby village of San Cristovo de Cea was also nice, though we only had time for a quick visit.


 Ribadavia - This town, known for wine-making, was very colourful, with lots of leaves and flowers. We also encountered two dogs and a possibly-pregnant cat, and sampled local cheese.


 Sobroso CastleThis small castle, sitting on a hill and surrounded by flowers, was very calm and serene. You could buy specially-made chocolate, which was divine, and colourful woven notebooks.


 The house of Rosalía de Castro - Visiting the house of this respected writer was a very special experience. We were given a fascinating tour, and enjoyed a garden full of flowers and fruit.


 Padrón - Dominating my memory of our trip to this town is the heat - it was a very sunny day, which added a surreal quality to the chickens, roses, fish, dog and ducklings we encountered. It was a strange, dreamlike, but enjoyable visit.


 Pontevedra - This became possibly my favourite town in Galicia. I loved the chilled out, happy atmosphere, and the diversity of the slim, winding streets and the big, open squares. I just had to return, which I later did with my mother and grandmother.


 The Liste Ethnographic Museum - I learnt a lot about the history of Galicia here. I liked the museum's layout; the way there were different rooms based around different themes. I was particularly moved by the room all about light.


 Castrelos Park - I had passed this park regularly on the bus, and was intrigued by its hedge maze. It was nice to visit it - we were there in the late afternoon and I remember that low, lazy sunlight on the maze, sculptures and pond.


 Carnota - This probably overtook - or at least equalised with - O Castro Park in terms of being the most beautiful place I had been, and my idea of paradise. It was all green countryside speckled with wildflowers, horses and foals and goats, sand dunes and a turquoise sea.


 Muros - I enjoyed exploring this quaint harbour town with its narrow, hilly streets, mosaics, cats, swallows and ice-cream.


 The coastal fort at Baroña - This was a magical place. The remains of an ancient settlement perched on a peninsula, surrounded by rushing waves, and with lizards creeping about. It was like reaching the edge of the world.


 The Sea Museum - I spent a fulfilling afternoon here, exploring marine animals and plants, boats, diving, and the role of the sea in toys and games. It was our last trip as a group, which was sad, but we knew we would keep in touch.


 Overall, as I've mentioned before on this blog, taking the Galician language and culture module was one of the best decisions I made during my semester in Vigo. I really, really recommend it.

 Thanks for reading.

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment