Monday 8 June 2015

Céret

 Hello!


 Céret, the cherry capital of France, which is not far from Perpignan, had been on my radar for a long time. When I did go, it was pretty unexpected.

 Rebekah, another English Assistant, and I fancied exploring somewhere in the department together. We decided to meet at the Centre of the Universe (Perpignan Railway Station) and pick a destination. 

 After a lot of deliberating we chose Céret. Rather than go by train we elected to go by the famous 1 Euro Bus.

 The sky was moody and the hills dark as we cruised through the countryside of the Pyrérées-Orientales. It was very atmospheric. We got off at the wrong stop, realised, jumped back on the bus before it left us there - phew - and got off at the next one, the right one.

 The right stop still wasn't exactly in the town centre so we had to pick a road and hope it was the right one. Fortunately it was and we found ourselves in the middle of Céret. 

 The first place we visited was a patisserie - of course! Followers of this blog will know how much I love taking pictures of bakery and patisserie displays.




 We left and wandered up the street. I had absolutely no idea what was in Céret apart from cherries when they were in season which wasn't now, so I was going in completely blind and it was quite fun. In such a small village it was impossible to get badly lost.








 We found ourselves at the Museum/Gallery of Modern Art and decided to take a look. I was greatly impressed by the large volume of works by Picasso - I hadn't known he had lived in Céret and that the town was so important to him. I was also delighted to see works by Miro and Juan Gris.












We did this at school in Art - I had no idea it was here!






 After we left the gallery my camera battery ran out so I switched to my phone. The images are slightly less clear but I think it happens to add to the ambience in Céret that day. It was quietly overcast, with a mysterious feel, like a storm was coming and the town was waiting.

 We found a public music box stand which Rebekah loved. Melodies included the Star Wars theme, Yesterday and "Greensleaves".






 We encountered a beautiful fountain designed by Picasso. I was enchanted by it - it will definitely feature in one of my novels some day.






 We explored a bit and saw the famous Devil's Bridge as well as a nice carved lion some pretty but slightly spooky skies.















 I bought some postcards and we made our way back down the hill to the bus stop. Dusk was coming and the sky was really eerie. I did my best to capture it on my phone camera. The atmosphere was really crackling - I wonder if a storm broke after we left.



 We hopped back onto the bus and rolled back home to Perpignan. It was a good day; I enjoyed spending some time with Rebekah and am glad I made time to see Céret. 

 The art gallery was interesting and the town quite quaint but what I remember most about that day is the bizarre atmosphere: the colours in the sky and the tension in the air. It was a weird and therefore unique day out.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment