Wednesday 6 May 2015

Barcelona: Dragons, football and Gaudí

 Hello!


 My final morning in Barcelona found me rather sad to be leaving. I decided to take the tour bus again to see some monuments and places I didn't get to see yesterday in daylight (either because it was lashing rain or because the bus passed them after dark).

 Firstly I stepped out onto La Rambla and enjoyed the sights. Yesterday, Marilyn Monroe; today, a dragon!






An umbrella, too...



 I hopped back onboard the bus with my two-day ticket. We cuised past the Camp Nou. I was glad to see it again, having visited back when I was fourteen, on a school trip.






                                      

                         



 We moved onto the famous "Diagonal Avenue," one of the main streets in the city.














 Having been moved by the Sagrada Familia I was keen to get a glimpse of more Gaudí masterpieces. My wish was granted when we passed Casa Mila. The front was covered but the soldier chimney looked great against the cloudy blue sky.



                                       

                                                

         

                         

                                                   






 I had a nostalgic moment when we passed Casa Batlló, probably Gaudí's most famous building after the Sagrada Familia, which we studied in art when I was at high school. It is inspired by the legend of Saint George and the Dragon. Saint George - Sant Jordi - is the patron saint of Catalonia.




 We made our way back to the Plaça de Catalunya to see the sun shining on the impressive buildings and fountain.







 Then, I swapped buses to enjoy the second route, which would take me along the seafront and up the mountain of Monjuïc.

 Watch this space for my adventures there!

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment