Sunday 12 July 2015

Grasse: Smells, soaps and Sean

 Hello!


 Normally I enjoy travelling alone but when I heard about a group excursion from my school to Grasse I didn't hesitate to join. From what I had heard, Grasse, the perfume capital of France, seemed wonderful and the trip included a tour of the famous Fragonard Perfume Museum. I couldn't wait to see it.

 Our coach took us through green hills and small villages. Finally we pulled up beside the museum. Inside there were a lot of signs and displays telling us that this is the Year of Jasmine. I love jasmine; it always makes me think of the John Stewart song.


 A lady showed us all around the museum including the "behind the scenes" part where people were making perfume and soap. I was particularly entranced by the making of egg-shaped soaps which are then put in real egg-boxes - such a pretty idea! 

 We also learnt about the training and career of a typical "nose", aka a master perfumer. They have to be able to distinguish between three hundred scents! 

 They sit at a table known as an "organ". We saw one and it wasn't hard to see how it had got its name as it greatly resembles the instrument but with bottles of different scents instead of pipes. The "nose" experiments and experiments to find the perfect combination. It must be such a fascinating and unusual life.

 We were then taken to the shop area of the museum where we could sample perfumes and eaux de toilette and buy them if we wished. I didn't as they were way too expensive but I was taken by some of the soaps on offer. 

 I picked out one of the egg-boxes for my mother and a couple more soaps as presents. They all smelt so gorgeous: rose, jasmine, lavender, violet, honeysuckle, orange blossom. I had such trouble choosing between them! I also bought some sweet perfumed postcards.

 As we were leaving, Loïc, the guide for the school excursions, told us that Sean Penn had been in the museum with us! I was rather starstruck (despite the fact I don't think I've seen him in anything apart from the "Live to Tell" video!).


 All in all it was a great visit and I came away with some lovely soaps and the knowledge that I'd unwittingly rubbed shoulders with celebrity.

 Thanks for reading!

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment