Sunday 4 June 2017

Christmas in Avignon

 Hello!


 Christmas was rapidly approaching, and with it the end of my time in Avignon as I would only be there for a short time in January. 

 To both celebrate the season and reflect on my semester in this beautiful town, I went for a walk and took some photos of the gorgeous lights and decorations.

 Firstly, I headed past the Place des Carmes, where I found a Christmas tree market...


 ... and a big tree filled with decorations made by children. As I was looking a girl passed with her mother and said, "Look, mine's still up!" sounding so happy and proud.





 I headed to Rue des Fourbisseurs, aka Umbrella Street. The umbrellas had mainly gone, but this lovely side street was a vision of cosy Christmas-ness, with sweet window displays, trees and balloons.






Me!





Months later, the spoon is still there!




 I arrived at the Place de l'Horloge, which was such a picture.



Me again








 The Rue de la République was just like a Christmas card - the lights, which moved, were stunning.




 I enjoyed a waffle from a café. There was a lot more cream than I had imagined, and it was divine.


 The Palais des Papes was, as always, a calm, still space, and it was nice to be away from all the noise and bustle for a moment.






 Back in the Place de l'Horloge, night was coming in and the sky was inky blue.




 I bought a crepe - maybe it would be my last one - from my favourite shop and started to weave my way down through the streets of the old town towards the river.













I'm guessing this is Camelopardalis, the giraffe constellation. It's funny to remember that they were seen as crosses between camels and leopards. It's quite accurate




Festive bakery

Festive bar

Festive bird


It's like a chandelier








 I reached the Rhône at what felt like just the right time - night had properly fallen and the bridge and trees lit up were almost fantastical. 



 It was a magical walk, and Avignon really does the festive season well. I am very happy to have seen it.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment