Wednesday 2 September 2015

The Film Archive of Castile and León

 Hello!


 One of the most fun and unusual - and therefore memorable - things I did in Salamanca was a tour of the Film Archive of Castile and León. 

 The Archive is in a little old church near the Plaza Mayor and serves not only as an archive but as a museum of all things film. From cameras to plates to old film posters, it has a rich and colourful hoard of artifacts that told the story of the moving image. 

 The definite highlight was watching a recreation of some of the oldest short films projected end-to-end in a tiny cinema room. They included scenes from Alice in Wonderland and photographs of the Moon, all shown to music. It was an intense and at times emotional experience.

 




























































 I left feeling that I had learnt a lot about cinema in Spain and elsewhere. On the way back across the Plaza Mayor I enjoyed a smoothie.


 I'm glad I got to visit the Archive; it was a unique and enjoyable afternoon.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment