Wednesday 1 October 2014

Big steps

 Salut!


 It's sunny! I'm so glad to be able to start a blog post this way! The storms have cleared up and the weather is lovely. It was scorching hot during the day but it has cooled slightly and is now extremely pleasant.

 Yesterday and today have been a big learning curve for me. I have achieved some very important things. 

 Firstly, yesterday, I went to set up a French bank account. I took the bus there, which was the first time I took the bus out from where I am staying (having taken it back from town yesterday). All went well and I am really starting to know the area.

 I set up a French bank account! It was easier than I had anticipated and it was a big relief to have it done.

 I then got the bus back and this time I missed my stop. But all was well! I kept calm and memorised the way back from the next stop. Then I retraced my steps without any bother and enjoyed getting to know my neighbourhood even better.

 Last night it didn't rain! Eureka! This morning was my first day of work at the Lycée. For this first week I will be observing the classes in which I will be teaching. I observed one two-hour lesson today. It was a very interesting and enjoyable experience. 

 I then ate my first meal in the Lycée canteen. I'd been told that the canteen is famous locally for its excellence and it didn't disappoint. I chose a starter of salad, a main of a turkey wrap, and for dessert a small chocolate éclair. It was all lovely. I also enjoyed eating my meal with a group of other teachers.

 I then bought milk at a Spar - they exist in France! Just looked Spar up, apparently it started in the Netherlands. Then, on the way back to the bus stop, I spotted many small lizards zooming across the ground and up and down low walls. 

 I don't know if I'd ever seen lizards in the wild before and seeing so many was really something. I wish I had had my camera with me to show you a picture! Never mind, I'll hopefully see them again.

 I finally got home and here I am writing this. I am also trying to plan some shenanigans with the other language assistants in the area so there could be some very fun times ahead!

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment